Saturday, May 22, 2010

Lilacs


I have been busy gardening every day here at the Kismet Inn Bed and Breakfast. It has been a simple joy. The garden beds are beginning to take shape now after four years. When my husband bought the house for me in 2004 I could not do anything in the gardens because a major renovation was to take place to transform the property into a wellness, retreat center.

I am a big believe of building up on things, never rushing into anything so after talking to a few landscapers I decided to do it myself. In 2006 my daughter had returned from a year and half's travel through central and south America with her then boyfriend. They were the ones who actually started the garden beds, her boyfriend did a great job of creating a rock garden. They set it up telling me it will take me sometime to actually build up the garden grounds. They were right.

To start with I bought about 10 yards of really good compost from Estabrooks Nursery in Yarmouth, Maine, cleared up all the construction debris, built 4 beds and cut down a few trees to make space for vegetable garden. After four years I have come to the decision that lilacs are going to be around the fence where the vegetable garden is. Today, I cleared the weeds, turned the soil and planted two lilacs, I had planted one couple of years ago and need 6 more to complete it. It will take a while but I will get it done!

No comments: