Tuesday, February 2, 2010

3 Squash Rice Pie


Couple of weeks ago I bought Spaghetti, delicata and butternut squashes from the farmers market in Brunswick. I cooked the spaghetti squash first in the oven with cheese and onion but it tasted so bland that I decided to mix it with delicata and butternut squashes to make a paste or soup. So I baked the other two in the oven once cooked I peeled the skin and put them in the pot to cook with coconut flakes, curry powder, salt and pepper. Once they were cooked I decided to put it in the mixer but when I was removing the mixer to pour out the mix into the pot to put the other batch in, it spilled because I removed the wrong part of the mixer. I was discouraged by the incident and had to go to a meeting so I left the remaining part in the pot.

Once I got back from the meeting I decided to make it into a lima bean squash dish so I added some dried organic lima bean I had and let it cook. Once it was cooked I decided to add some white basmati rice to give it some thickness but this turned out to be a bit too mooshy for my taste. I was also taking it to a potluck which I didn't want to represent Kismet Inn Bed and Breakfast with a mooshy rice so I decided to make a pie out of it and call it 'Three Squash Rice Pie'

I fried onions in ghee, covered the pie with it, sprinkled some cinnamon on top then put it in the oven for 45 minutes. It turned out excellent.

No comments: